Let’s face it: making phone calls is an integral part of the modern world. We use them to communicate with not only our loved ones but our colleagues and customers as well.
And while there are a variety of ways to make calls these days—from traditional landlines to VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) services—the latter has become increasingly popular due to its affordability and flexibility, especially in the business world.
If you’re not familiar with VoIP, it’s a technology that allows you to make voice calls using an Internet connection instead of a traditional phone line. And because it uses the Internet, there are virtually no geographic restrictions—you can call anyone, anywhere in the world, as long as they have an Internet connection.
Why use VoIP on an iOS device?
There are several reasons why you might want to use VoIP on your iOS device instead of a traditional phone line.
- Affordability – Because VoIP uses the Internet, there are no roaming charges or fees for calling internationally. Due to lesser reliance on telephone infrastructure, you can save a lot of money if you make a lot of calls outside of your home country
- Flexibility – With VoIP, you can make calls from anywhere in the world as long as you have an Internet connection. Instead of having to pay for expensive long-distance calls and roaming charges, you can just use your VoIP service
- Convenience – With VoIP, you can manage your calls using your iOS device’s built-in phone app. You can also use other apps like Skype or WhatsApp to make calls
- Scalability – VoIP isn’t bogged down by telephone lines and dedicated hardware. You can scale as much as you and your team need to
How to use VoIP on iOS
To use VoIP on your iOS device, you first need to sign up for a VoIP service. This can be done through your mobile carrier or through a third-party provider. Once you have registered in a VoIP service, add contacts. Then, once you’re connected with them, you can start making calls using your iOS device’s VoIP provider.
To make a call, open the phone app and tap on the VoIP icon. This will bring up a list of your VoIP contacts. Tap on the contact you want to call and then tap on the green call button. Your call will now be connected through the VoIP network.
If you want to manage your calls, you can do so by going to the Settings app. Tap on the Phone icon and then tap on the VoIP section. Here, you can enable or disable call forwarding, call waiting, caller ID, and other features.
Visit the Apple Support page for more information on managing WiFi calls.
What are the top VoIP providers on iOS devices?
There are many VoIP providers in the market today. Many of them are built-in to Apple systems, while others are entirely dedicated to a remote team setup. Some examples include:
- Skype: popular VoIP service that offers free calls to other Skype users
- WhatsApp: VoIP service that offers free calls and messages
- Viber: VoIP service that offers free calls and texts to other Viber users
These are just a few of the top VoIP providers in the market today. With so many options available, you should be able to find a VoIP provider that meets your needs.
Are Telco subscriptions still worth it?
If you’re running a business, the last thing you want is your customer to go unanswered. While VoIP offers a lot of advantages, there are still some things to consider before you make the switch.
For example, if you solely rely on VoIP for your business calls, you may be susceptible to power outages and internet connectivity issues.
It’s important to have a backup plan in place in case of an emergency. This is where a traditional phone line comes in handy. It should be said, however, that more and more VoIP services are starting to have the technology to operate even in the face of power outages. It’s only a matter of time before VoIP catches up in that regard.
Having a VoIP service as your primary line is a great way to save money, but having a backup plan is always a good idea. With a 1300 number (like one from Simple 1300 Numbers), you can be sure that any inbound calls will pass through a managed answering service and not get lost.
There you have it—everything you need to know about using VoIP on your iOS device.
VoIP is a great way to save money and be more flexible with your calling. Not only is it technologically forward, but it’s a great cost-saving measure for small businesses.