- At Business Insider Intelligence, our mission is to bring you the most important insights, data and analysis from the digital world. So when we come across outstanding research from our partners that we think our audience can benefit from, we like to make sure you hear about it.
- That’s why we’re giving you a preview of eMarketer’s report: Germany Ecommerce 2019.
- You can download the full report here.
Germany is Western Europe’s second-largest e-commerce market, behind the UK. eMarketer forecasts that retail e-commerce sales in the country will surpass €69 billion ($81 billion) in 2019, equivalent to nearly 9% of total retail sales.
How much will consumers in Germany spend on e-commerce in 2019?
E-commerce spending in Germany will reach an estimated €69.37 billion ($81.85 billion) this year, an annual rise of 7.8%. That will represent just 8.8% of all retail sales, though. Total retail sales are expected to be €785.77 billion ($927.19 billion) in 2019.
Which channels are driving retail growth?
Mobile buying is growing more quickly than any other segment, at an estimated annual rate of 12.0% this year. Moreover, there’s still lots of room for m-commerce to expand. In 2019, mobile purchases will account for barely 40% of digital retail sales.
Which product categories are seeing the fastest growth?
According to the retail industry body Handelsverband Deutschland (HDE), sales of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) and groceries posted some of the highest growth rates in 2018. Apparel remains the greatest contributor to overall retail ecommerce sales, however.
Will Amazon continue to dominate the e-commerce market?
Yes, to a great extent. Amazon’s position in Germany is extremely strong, thanks to its early entry into the market and widespread takeup of Amazon Prime. But other major players, such as eBay and national giant Otto, are working hard to compete.
eMarketer has put together a detailed report, Germany Ecommerce 2019, to present its latest estimates and forecasts for retail, e-commerce and m-commerce sales in Germany, and for digital and mobile buyers in the country. It also examines key trends shaping the ecommerce market.
Topics discussed in this report include:
- Total retail and e-commerce spending in Germany
- E-commerce by channel
- E-commerce by retailer
- Digital buyer penetration and demographics
In full, this report contains:
- 3 Detailed files: Exportable files for easy reading, analysis and sharing.
- 6 Data-rich charts: Reliable data in simple displays for presentations and quick decision making.
- 2 Expert perspectives: Insights from industry and company leaders.