Saturday , 18 November 2017
Breaking News
Motorola confirms return to Chinese smartphone market

Motorola confirms return to Chinese smartphone market

Motorola has announced its return to the Chinese smartphone market from February with three of its latest smartphones, the Moto X, Moto X Pro and Moto G 4G. The company had withdrawn from China in 2013 after it came under Google’s ownership. However, in October last year Chinese electronics firm Lenovo completed the purchase of Motorola Mobility from Google for USD 2.91 billion, promising to make the business profitable within 4-6 quarters. Although Motorola has yet to announce pricing details for its products, it said customers would be able to design their own Moto X through the firm’s Moto Maker design tool after the Chinese New Year holiday festival.

Rick Osterloh, Motorola’s president and chief operating officer, had earlier told the Financial Times that the company saw a new opportunity to take on local manufacturers such as Xiaomi and Huawei. “If you want to be amongst the top [smartphone] providers, you have to be in China,” he said, adding that “our focus going forward is a small number of great products, great software and giving users the power to choose.” He also confirmed that selling the company’s Android-based phones to Chinese consumers would mean replacing Google internet services with “locally appropriate” alternatives but that Motorola had no plans to sell its phones without Google services outside China.

Article Source

Share and Enjoy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Email
Print